5 Facts About E2 Investor Visas – Rupert Law Group
If you’re interested in living and working in the United States, becoming an investor may be the best way to do it. The US welcomes people from treaty countries who are ready and able to invest in an American-based business. Here are five things you should know about E2 investor visas and starting a business in the US.
- E2 investor visas are renewable. E2 visas are good for two years, and renewable indefinitely after that. That’s right: there are no limits to the number of times you can get this visa renewed. Therefore, although you will not be eligible for a green card or for citizenship, but you will be able to stay indefinitely as long as you continue to qualify for renewals. Please keep in mind that a requirement of the E2 investor visa is the intent to return to your home country as soon as eligibility ceases.
- You can bring your family if you qualify for an E2 Visa. Your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 can come with you.
- Your spouse can be authorized to work. When your spouse comes with you, they will be eligible to apply for work authorization. If approved, they will not be limited to the type or place of employment.
- The type of business in which you invest is not mandated. So, the opportunities are endless. Some visa holders open their own business, but some choose to buy an existing business. Examples of businesses purchased may be a retail or restaurant franchise, a laundry/dry cleaning business or other small service business. More important than the type of business is the sufficiency of the investment and the potential to “generate more than enough income to provide a minimal living” for you and your family.
- E2 investor visas require a smaller investment. Unlike the large investment required ($500,000-$1,000,000) with some immigrant investment programs, the E2 investor visa doesn’t require hiring full-time employees and doesn’t have a “hard line” dollar number for the investment. Of course, the investment still needs to be “substantial,” and must be enough so that a successful business can be launched and established. This is not a small investment — but it is a smaller investment than is required by other investment options.
If you are interested in E2 visas, please call today if you are in need of an E2 visa lawyer. We are happy to speak with you more to determine if you may be eligible for an E2 Visa, and to help you live and work in the US!